It is not yet summer but I am already feeling that the weather is not anymore as cool as in the past few weeks where Manila dropped to its lowest record of 15ºC (roughly 60ºF) this year. It is not yet freezing cold though, but for someone like me who grew up in the tropical urban area, where smog could be mistaken to a fog, it is very rarely we get to experience temperature this low in the metropolis. It is already enough reason for us to get those comfy toe-length pyjamas on, hibernate under the blanket and chill between the pillows during night. It is just quite disappointing since local weather bureau predicted that the polar vortex effect could last until March, but it seems that the northeast monsoon has already gone too soon and it is not even past half the month of February. I am not yet ready to depart from my comforter and I still find sweat shirts and jackets fashionable to wear. Just this afternoon, there was so much humidity in the air that you can already feel your armpit being dampened by your own sweat. Wanting to get rid of the irritation, I span my stand fan in maximum number 3, which in effect turned out to be an instant steamer. And true enough, as I take a look on my phone’s weather apps, the temperature is beaming 32ºC and it is not even yet Mister Sun’s time (that is again, according to the weather bureau). Just imagine how the heat would swing if it is already summer. So expect your fb timeline to get flooded with rhetorical statuses that goes like, “Summer, please be good to me.”
|Fruity, thirst-quenching and simply refreshing!|
Instead of fretting for not having enough time to pump and pop up those abs and pecs, specially to those beach bums, here I made a fruit punch to help you punch away those nostalgic musings for having fallen short of the cold days and nights, which supposed to be happening during the ber months (blame it to global warming and climate change). That is for sure, you will run out of stocks of thirst quenchers and heat defying energy drink so better pile up those kitchen boards with supplies as early as now. And to jumpstart your summer quest, here is a simple recipe of fruit juice mixture that you will surely get to love, particularly in this season of the year. All you need are pineapple juice, mango nectar, oranges and sparkling water. I let some minced ginger to sit in the mixture for a while before serving over glass of ice, retaining as much as soda carbon as possible. For the fruit extracts, you may opt for the fresh pick or the canned and bottled ones. It does not matter as long as you get the best quality from your most trusted brand. In choosing the processed produce, I personally advise you to go for the items with less sugar concentration or better yet, juice your own if convenience will not pose any issue.
|The best way to punch away the summer heat is through this bowl of goodness.|
My verdict: The sweetness of the pineapple and mango, and the tanginess of orange is a love-hate blend that is somewhat tickling to the soul, while the zest of soda and ginger is so energizing and uplifting. All in all - fruity, thirst-quenching and simply refreshing!
Golden Fruit Punch
Number of servings: 10 to 12 glasses
- 1L fresh pineapple juice or 1.3 L (45 oz.) 100% pineapple juice in can
- 500 mL (17 oz.) sweet mango nectar or puree
- 3 pcs. fresh orange, squeezed
- 1 pc. fresh orange, sliced for garnish
- 500 mL (17 oz.) lemon-lime soda or sparkling water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ice cubes
- In a small saucepan, boil the water and sugar. Stir constantly until the sugar completely dissolves in water. Let the syrup cool and set aside.
- In a large juice bowl, combine pineapple juice, mango nectar and the squeezed orange juice.
- Gently stir in the sugar syrup, adding more if necessary until you get the desired sweetness.
- Mix the ginger and leave aside for 10 minutes or so to let the ginger flavor blend. Using a clean small strainer, scoop off the ginger particles. Add the lemon-lime soda and garnish with orange slices. Stir once more.
- Chill in the fridge or serve right away over ice cubes. Enjoy!
TIPS FROM ENZ:
- If you want your pure juice, you can dump fresh fruits into your juicer. Otherwise, you may use freshly extracted juice in can or bottles for more convenience. Choose the brand with less concentrated sugar.
- Do not skip the ginger and soda. These will add a little kick and that soothing feel.
- Pour in the soda last to minimize air exposure so as not to lose much of the carbon and you can enjoy the burst of the sparkling drink.
- You may omit the sugar syrup and just add more mango nectar for sweetness. You may also freeze the mango juice into ice cubes, and use it to sweeten and chill your punch.
- This punch also works best over crushed ice.
- You can add slices of apples and carrots to make your juice mix even more fruity and healthy.